M.Eng. Admissions Requirements
Statement of Purpose
All applicants are required to submit the SOP.
The GRE is required of all applicants. Only current Cornell Undergraduate Students are exempt from submitting GRE scores. It is required for all other applicants.
While there are no strict minimum required scores, we look for scores close to:
"Old" Version of GREs:
- Verbal – 500
- Quantitative – 750
- Analytical – 5.0
"New" Version of GREs:
- Verbal - 153
- Quantitative - 159
- Analytical - 5.0
The Subjective portion of the GRE is not required. GRE scores must be official test results;photocopies are not acceptable. Scores need to be submitted directly to the Cornell Graduate School by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Cornell's institutional code for the GRE is 2098; no Departmental Code is necessary.
English Language Proficiency - TOEFL and IELTS
TOEFL scores must be official test results; photocopies are not acceptable. Scores need to be submitted directly to the Cornell Graduate School by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Cornell's institutional code for the TOEFL is 2098; no Departmental Code is necessary.
IELTS - A combined overall score of 7.0 is required for IELTS.
A total of two (2) Letters of Recommendation are to be submitted. It is strongly suggested that they both be from faculty. The online application system default will only allow for the submission of two letters. If you wish to include a third letter, you may have your Recommender submit it directly to Scott Coldren via email as a PDF only (no other formats will be accepted) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
One (1) from each university you have attended. Each transcript must be translated into English. You should plan to upload a scanned copy in PDF format in your online application. No hard copy Transcripts will need to be submitted.
- You may upload a scanned copy of your transcript into the CollegeNet Online Application System. Please use the following guidelines to do so:
- Scan at the lowest dpi document (use under 200 dpi whenever possible).
- Ensure that the institution name and other identifying marks are not missed during the scanning process, and that it is clearly legible and can print on 8 ½" x 11" size paper.
- Save your document as a PDF file.
- Scanning in gray scale or black and white may produce the best results.
- If you upload a scanned copy of your transcript, you do NOT have to provide an official hard copy version to accompany your application. You will only need to provide an official hard copy transcript if you are made an offer of admission and you choose to accept it.
- If the scanned file is too large then make a photocopy first then scan the photocopy.
The minimum cumulative GPA is 3.5/4.0.
Resume or CV