A commentary by ECE Professor Stephen B. Wicker and Dipayan Ghosh Ph.D. '14.Read more about Silicon Valley says AI will curb disinformation -- but it might make things worse
Professor Wicker works in the area of information networks, with an emphasis on the application of game theory, mechanism design, and other technologies that enhance privacy and expression rights for those using large-scale information systems. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, and has testified about information network privacy issues to congressional staffers. He is the author of six books, holds a number of patents, and has received several Cornell teaching awards. His most recent book, "Cellular Convergence and the Death of Privacy," was published by Oxford University Press in 2013.
Information Networks, Privacy and Security in Wireless Systems, Wired and Wireless Telephony.
- Information Theory and Communications
- Complex Systems, Network Science and Computation
- Systems and Networking
Communication theory, communication systems, information science, privacy and security in information networks
- Wicker, Stephen B. 2017. "Internet Advertising: Technology, Ethics, and a Serious Difference of Opinion." Communications of the ACM.
- Santoso, Stephanie M., Stephen B. Wicker. 2014. "The future of three-dimensional printing: Intellectual property or intellectual confinement?." New Media and Society 18 (1).
- Wicker, Stephen B. 2013. Cellular Convergence and the Death of Privacy.Oxford University Press. : 200 pp.. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Wicker, Stephen B. 2012. "The Loss of Location Privacy in the Cellular Age." Communications of the ACM 55 (8): 60-68.
- Karst, N., Stephen B. Wicker. 2012. "On the rekeying load in group key distributions using cover-free families." IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 58 (10): 6667 - 6671.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Fellow of IEEE (IEEE) 2010
- College of Engineering Teaching Award (Cornell University) 2012
- Douglas Whitney '61 Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Engineering 2009
- Cornell School of ECE Teaching Award 2000
- Cornell University College of Engineering Teaching Award 1998
- B.S. (Electrical and Communications Engineering), University of Virginia, 1982
- M.S. (Electrical and Communications Engineering), Purdue University, 1983
- Ph.D. (Electrical and Communications Engineering), University of Southern California, 1987
Research Group Members
- Stephanie Santoso
In the News
An op-ed by Dipayan Ghosh, ECE Ph.D. '13, a former student of Prof. Stephen Wicker.Read more about NYT Op-Ed: Beware of A.I. in Social Media Advertising
Prof. Stephen Wicker discusses "Internet Advertising: Technology, Ethics, and a Serious Difference of Opinion" in this video based on a review article in the October 2017 issue of Communications of the ACMRead more about Internet Advertising: Technology, Ethics, and a Serious Difference of Opinion