ECE is pleased to announce the appointment of Professor Qing Zhao as director of graduate studies. Read more about Qing Zhao named Director of Graduate Studies for Cornell ECE
Qing Zhao joined Cornell in 2015, where she is the Joseph C. Ford Professor of Engineering. Prior to that, she was a professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at UC Davis from 2004 to 2015 and a system engineer with Aware., Inc. from 2001 to 2003. She received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University in 2001.
Professor Zhao is a Fellow of IEEE, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow of the European Union’s Horizon-2020 research and innovation program, and a Jubilee Chair Professor of Chalmers University during her 2018-2019 sabbatical leave. She received the 2010 IEEE Signal Processing Magazine Best Paper Award and the 2000 Young Author Best Paper Award from IEEE Signal Processing Society. While on the faculty of UC Davis, she held the title of UC Davis Chancellor’s Fellow and received the 2014 Outstanding Mid-Career Faculty Research Award and the 2008 Outstanding Junior Faculty Award from the UC Davis College of Engineering.
Sequential decision theory, stochastic optimization, machine learning, and algorithmic theory with applications in infrastructure, communications, and social-economic networks.
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Systems and Networking
- Complex Systems, Network Science and Computation
- S. Baltaoglu, L. Tong, Q. Zhao, "Online Learning of Optimal Bidding Strategy in Repeated Multi-Commodity Auctions," NIPS, 2017.
- S. Vakili, Q. Zhao, "Risk-Averse Multi-Armed Bandit Problems under Mean-Variance Measure," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, 2016.
- K. Cohen, Q. Zhao, "Active Hypothesis Testing for Anomaly Detection," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2015.
- J. Gao, Q. Zhao, W. Ren, A. Swami, R. Ramanathan, A. Bar-Noy, "Dynamic Shortest Path Algorithms for Hypergraphs," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 2015.
- H. Liu, K. Liu, and Q. Zhao, "Learning in A Changing World: Restless Multi-Armed Bandit with Unknown Dynamics," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2013.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow (European Union’s Horizon-2020 research and innovation program) 2018-2019
- Jubilee Chair Professor (Chalmers University, Sweden) 2018-2019
- Fellow (IEEE) 2013
- Chancellor's Fellow (University of California, Davis) 2010
- Best Paper Award (IEEE Signal Processing Magazine) 2010
- Young Author Best Paper Award (IEEE Signal Processing Society) 2000
- B.S. (Electrical Engineering), Sichuan University, 1994
- M.S. (Electrical Engineering), Fudan University, 1997
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering), Cornell University, 2001
- Postdoc (Electrical Engineering), Cornell University, 2004
Research Group Members
In the News
Debdeep Jena Debdeep Jena, Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Department of Materials Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, was elected the David E. Burr Professor... Read more about Jena, Xing and Zhao elected endowed chairs
Qing Zhao receives Jubilee Professorship at Chalmers University of Technology, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship
Professor Qing Zhao has been named a Jubilee Chair Professor of Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden. Read more about Qing Zhao receives Jubilee Professorship at Chalmers University of Technology, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship