The AI Institute for Next Generation Food Systems, established in partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, aims to meet growing food... Read more about Cornell researchers will use artificial intelligence to develop next generation food systems
Qing Zhao joined Cornell in 2015, where she is the Joseph C. Ford Professor of Engineering. Prior to that, she was a professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at UC Davis from 2004 to 2015 and a system engineer with Aware., Inc. from 2001 to 2003. She received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University in 2001.
Professor Zhao is a Fellow of IEEE, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow of the European Union research and innovation program, a Jubilee Chair Professor of Chalmers University during her 2018-2019 sabbatical leave, and is a Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE Signal Processing Society. She received the 2010 IEEE Signal Processing Magazine Best Paper Award and the 2000 Young Author Best Paper Award from the IEEE Signal Processing Society. While on the faculty of UC Davis, she held the title of UC Davis Chancellor’s Fellow and received the 2014 Outstanding Mid-Career Faculty Research Award and the 2008 Outstanding Junior Faculty Award from the UC Davis College of Engineering.
Sequential decision theory, stochastic optimization, machine learning, and algorithmic theory with applications in infrastructure, communications, and social-economic networks.
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Systems and Networking
- Complex Systems, Network Science and Computation
- S. Salgia, Q. Zhao, S. Vakili, "Stochastic Coordinate Minimization with Progressive Precision for Stochastic Convex Optimization," ICML, 2020.
- X. Xiao, Q. Zhao, "Distributed No-Regret Learning in Multi-Agent Systems," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 2020.
- Q. Zhao, Multi-Armed Bandits: Theory and Applications to Online Learning in Networks (URL: https://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/10.2200/S00941ED2V01Y201907CNT022), Morgan and Claypool Publishers, 2019.
- S. Baltaoglu, L. Tong, Q. Zhao, "Online Learning of Optimal Bidding Strategy in Repeated Multi-Commodity Auctions," NeurIPS, 2017.
- K. Cohen, Q. Zhao, "Active Hypothesis Testing for Anomaly Detection," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2015.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Lecturer (IEEE Signal Processing Society), 2020
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow (European Union research and innovation program), 2018-2019
- Jubilee Chair Professor (Chalmers University, Sweden), 2018-2019
- IEEE Fellow, 2013
- Chancellor's Fellow (University of California, Davis), 2010
- Best Paper Award (IEEE Signal Processing Magazine), 2010
- Young Author Best Paper Award (IEEE Signal Processing Society), 2000
- B.S. (Electrical Engineering), Sichuan University, 1994
- M.S. (Electrical Engineering), Fudan University, 1997
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering), Cornell University, 2001
- Postdoc (Electrical Engineering), Cornell University, 2004