ECE is pleased to announce the appointment of Professor José Martínez as associate director. Read more about José Martínez named Associate Director for Cornell ECE
José Martínez is Professor and Associate Director of Electrical and Computer Engineering, faculty member of the graduate fields of Computer Science and Systems Engineering, and faculty Fellow of the Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future at Cornell. He is part of Cornell’s Computer Systems Laboratory.
Prof. Martinez was appointed to a two-year term as Associate Dean of Diversity and Faculty Development for the College of Engineering in January 2020.
Prof. Martínez is currently the hardware theme lead for the Center for Research in Intelligent Storage and Processing in Memory (CRISP). He is also co-founder and part of the Executive Committee of Cornell’s Initiative for Digital Agriculture (CIDA).
Prof. Martínez’s research has received a number of awards over the years; among them: two IEEE Micro Top Picks papers (2003 and 2007); a HPCA Best Paper award (2005), as well as MICRO and HPCA Best Paper nominations (2006 and 2015); a NSF CAREER Award (2006); two IBM Faculty Awards (2006 and 2009); and a Distinguished Educator Award (2011) by the University of Illinois’ Computer Science Department (his graduate alma mater).
On the teaching side, he has have been recognized with two Kenneth A. Goldman ’71 and one Dorothy and Fred Chau MS’74 College of Engineering teaching awards (2005, 2014, and 2018, resp.); a Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Teaching Excellence (2015); twice as the Most Influential College Educator of a Merrill Presidential Scholar (2007 and 2016); and as the 2011 Tau Beta Pi Professor of the Year in the College of Engineering.
Prof. Martínez served as Editor in Chief of IEEE Computer Architecture Letters from 2013 through 2016, and in 2017 as Chair of the IEEE Computer Society’s Transactions Operating Committee, in charge of overseeing all of the Society’s journal publications. He was Program Co-chair of MICRO 2009 and Program Chair of HPCA 2016, and is General Co-chair of ISCA 2020.
Prof. Martínez's research area is computer architecture. His research interests include reconfigurable and self-optimizing architectures, architectural impact of disruptive technologies (e.g., on-chip nano photonics), and hardware-software interaction.Research Group Members
Prof. Martínez is the Chair of the Computer Engineering teaching unit in ECE, and a member of ECE's Curriculum and Standards Committee. He usually teaches ECE 5750 (Advanced Computer Architecture, a core computer engineering graduate course), and ENGRD 2400 (Computer Systems Programming, which he created in 2016).
- Wang, X., S. Chen, J. Setter, Jose F. Martinez. 2017. "SWAP Effective fine-grain management of shared last-level caches with minimum hardware support.." Intl. Symp. on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA).
- Wang, X. , Jose F. Martinez. 2016. "ReBudget: Trading off efficiency vs. fairness in market-based multicore resource allocation via runtime budget reassignment." March.
- Hurkat, S., J. Choi, E. Nurvitadhi, Jose F. Martinez, R. Rutenbar. 2015. "A fast hierarchical implementation of sequential tree-reweighted belief propagation for probabilistic inference.." Intl. Conf. on Field-Programmable Logic (FPL).
- Wang, X., Jose F. Martinez. 2015. "XChange: A Market-Based Approach to Scalable Dynamic Multi-resource Allocation in Multicore Architectures." Paper presented at Intl. Symp. on High-Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), San Francisco, CA Feb. 2015
- Weisz, G., Y. Wang, S. Hurkat, M. Nguyen, J. C. Hoe, Jose F. Martinez. 2014. "GraphGen: An FPGA Framework for Vertex-centric Graph Computation." Paper presented at Intl. Symp. on Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines (FCCM), May.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Program Chair (HPCA) 2016
- Best Paper Nomination, HPCA 2015 (High Performance Computer Architecture) 2015
- College of Engineering, Kenneth A. Goldman '71 Excellence in Teaching Award (College of Engineering) 2014
- Professor of the Year (Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society) 2011
- Distinguished Educator Award in the inaugural class of alumni awards (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Department of Computer Science) 2011
- B. Sc. (Computer Science & Engineering), Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, 1996
- M.S. (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- Ph.D. (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Research Group Members
In the News
Cornell engineers are part of a national effort to reinvent computing by developing new solutions to the “von Neumann bottleneck,” a feature-turned-problem that is almost as old as the modern computer... Read more about Engineers to hack 50-year-old computing problem with new center
ECE’s José Martínez has been promoted to the rank of Full Professor effective November 1, 2016. Read more about José Martínez promoted to Full Professor