B.S. 1985, Engineering Physics, University of Oklahoma. Ph.D., 1991, Applied Physics, Yale University. Post-Doctoral Researcher, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1990-91. Assistant Professor, Physics, University of California, Berkeley, 1992-96. Associate Professor, Physics, University of California, Berkeley, 1996-2000. Professor, Physics, Cornell University, 2001-present. Office of Naval Research Young Investigator, 1992-95; Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellow, 1992-94; Packard Foundation Fellow, 1992-97; National Young Investigator, 1993-98; LBNL Outstanding Performance Award, 1997; Packard Foundation Interdisciplinary Fellow, 1999; Agilent Europhysics Prize, 2001; Fellow, American Physical Society, 2003; Yale Sci. and Engr. Assoc. Award for Basic and Applied Science, 2009; National Academy of Sciences, 2011; Debut novel of the year by the International Thriller Writers Association; Distinguished Graduates Society, University of Oklahoma College of Engineering, 2013, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2015.
Our research focuses on the fabrication and study of nanostructures. We use these structures to span the gap between the macroscopic and molecular worlds, exploring electronics, optics, mechanics, chemistry and biology at the nanoscale. Current research ranges from the use of carbon nanotubes for optoelectronics and mechanics to the use of graphene and other 2D materials for atomic-scale origami, active materials, and micro and nanomachines.
- Graphene Kirigami, M. K. Blees, A. W. Barnard, P. A. Rose, S. P. Roberts, K. L. McGill, P. Y. Huang, A. R. Ruyack, J. W. Kevek, B. Kobrin, D. A. Muller, and P. L. McEuen, Nature 524, 204-207 (2015).
- The Valley Hall Effect in MoS2 Transistors, K. F. Mak, K. L. McGill, J. Park, and P. L. McEuen, Science 344, 1489-1492 (2014).
- Imaging Atomic Rearrangements in Two-Dimensional Silica Glass: Watching Silica's Dance, P. Y. Huang, S. Kurasch, J. S. Alden, A. Shekhawat, A. A. Alemi, P. L. McEuen, J. P. Sethna, U. Kaiser, and D. A. Muller, Science 342, 224-227 (2013).
- Strain Solitons and Topological Defects in Bilayer Graphene, J. S. Alden, A. W. Tsen, P. Y. Huang, R. Hovden, L. Brown, J. Park, D. A. Muller, and P. L. McEuen, PNAS 110, 11256-11260 (2013).
- Imaging Grains and Grain Boundaries in Single-Layer Graphene: An Atomic Patchwork Quilt, P. Y. Huang, C. S. Ruiz-Vargas, A. M. van der Zande, W. S. Whitney, S. Garg, J. S. Alden, C. J. Hustedt, Y. Zhu, J. Park, P. L. McEuen, and D. A. Muller, Nature 469, 389-392 (2011).
- B.S. (Engineering Physics), University of Oklahoma, 1985
- Ph.D. (Applied Physics), Yale University, 1991
- Post-Doctoral Researcher, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1990-91