Emeritus Professor Zygmunt J. Haas recently delivered a talk at the KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden as part of the ACCESS Distinguished Lecture Series. The invited lecture,...Read more about Haas delivers Distinguished Lecture at KTH
Zygmunt J. Haas received his Ph.D. in ECE from Stanford University in 1988. Subsequently, he joined the Network Research Department of AT&T Bell Laboratories, where he pursued research on mobility management, wireless networks, wireless communications, fast protocols, optical networks, and optical switching. In 1995, he joined the faculty of the School of ECE at Cornell University, where he is now a Professor. He heads the Wireless Networks Lab (wnl.ece.cornell.edu), an internationally recognized research group with extensive contributions in the area of Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks. Dr. Haas is an IEEE Fellow and an author of over 200 technical papers.
Wireless and Mobile Systems and Networks; Information Assurance and Network Security; Modeling of Complex Communication Systems; Biologically-inspired Systems; Communication Systems for in-vivo Applications; Design, Modeling, and Implementation of Cross-layer Protocols and Systems; Cross-Disciplinary Research Initiatives
Communication Networks, especially for multimedia applications; Design and analysis of Communication Protocols; Design and analysis of Wireless Systems and Networks, including the effects of mobility on the performance of communication protocols; Application of Network Security tools for Information Assurance
Dr. Haas chaired and co-chaired several key conferences in the communications and networking areas, organized many workshops, delivered numerous tutorials at major IEEE and ACM conferences, and has served as editor of many journals and magazines, including the IEEE Transactions on Networking, the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, the IEEE Communications Magazine, and the Springer Wireless Networks journal (WINET). He has been a guest editor of a number of IEEE Communications Magazine special issues and several of IEEE JSAC issues; e.g., "Gigabit Networks," "Mobile Computing Networks," and "Ad-Hoc Networks." Dr. Haas served as a Chair of the IEEE Technical Committee on Personal Communications and as the Chair of the Steering Committee of the IEEE Pervasive Computing magazine. He is currently on a rotational position with the National Science Foundation in Arlington, VA, where he is a Program Director in the Engineering Directorate and heads several programs, including the Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) program.
- Chowdhury, M. Z., Y. M. Jang, Zygmunt J Haas. 2013. "Call admission control based on adaptive bandwidth allocation for wireless networks." Journal of Communications and Networks 15 (1): 15-24.
- Lee, Y., G. Y. Lee, Zygmunt J Haas. 2013. "Networking-Coding-based Security for Ad Hoc Networks." .
- Wang, Q., Zygmunt J Haas. 2012. "Analytical Model of Epidemic Routing for Delay-Tolerant Networks." Paper presented at ACM MSWiM 2012 Workshop on High Performance Mobile Opportunistic Systems (HP-MOSvs2012), Paphos, Cyprus, October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 21.
- Arrobo, G. E., Zygmunt J. Haas, R. D. Gitlin. 2012. "Temporal Diversity Coding for Improving the Performance of Wireless Body Area Networks." Paper presented at 7th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2012), Oslo, Norway, September 24.
- Nikolov, M., Zygmunt J Haas. 2012. "Collaborating with Correlation for Energy Efficient WSN." Paper presented at The First ACM Annual International Workshop on Mission-oriented Wireless Sensor Networking (ACM MiSeNet 2012), Instanbul, Turkey, August 26.
Selected Awards and Honors
- 2012 IEEE ComSoc WTC Recognition Award (the award recognizes individuals for "outstanding technical contributions in the field for his service to the scientific and engineering communities) (IEEE Globecom 2012) 2012
- Best Paper Award for the paper "Collaborating with Correlation for Energy Efficient WSN" (First ACM Annual International Workshop on Mission-oriented Wireless Sensor Networking (ACM MiSeNet 2012) in conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2012) 2012
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer, Scandinavian Countries 2009
- Elevation to IEEE Fellow 2007
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer, Australia 2005
- BS (Electrical Engineering), Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 1979
- MS (Electrical Engineering), Tel Aviv University, 1985
- Ph D (Electrical Engineering), Stanford University, 1988
In the News
A paper by ECE Emeritus Professor Zygmunt J. Haas and co-authored by Computer Science Professor Joseph Y. Halpern and his student Li Li has been cited by Google Scholar as a top 10 most cited paper since 2006.Read more about Haas paper noted by Google Scholar as top 10 most cited since 2006
Emeritus Professor Zygmunt J. Haas is the recipient of the 2016 Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (AHSN) Technical Recognition Award for outstanding contributions to securing ad hoc and sensor networks.Read more about Haas receives 2016 AHSN Technical Recognition Award