After receiving his Ph.D., Professor Parks joined the Electrical Engineering faculty at Rice University where he conducted research in digital signal processing. In 1986, he left Rice for Cornell's School of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Parks retired in 2008.
Parks is a Life Fellow of the IEEE and a recipient of the prestigious IEEE Jack S. Kilby Gold Medal for his work on interpolation and the 'Parks-McClellan algorithm'. He has also been awarded the IEEE Third Millennium Medal, the Humboldt Foundation Senior Scientist Award, and a Senior Fulbright Fellowship. He became an NAE Member in 2009.
Parks has co-authored a number of books and papers on digital signal processing. His research interests are signal theory and digital signal processing.
- Parks, Thomas, K. Kirakawa. 2006. "Image denoising using total least-squares." IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 15 (9): 2730-2742.
- Parks, Thomas, K. Hirakawa. 2006. "Joint image denoising and demosaicing."IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 15 (8): 2146-2157.
- Hirakawa, K., Thomas Parks. 2005. "Joint demosaicing and denoising." Paper presented at IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, September 11.
- Hirakawa, K., Thomas Parks. 2005. "Chromatic adaptation and white balance problem." Paper presented at IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, September 11.
- Hirakawa, K., Thomas Parks. 2005. "Image denoising for signal dependent noise." Paper presented at IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, March 19.
Selected Awards and Honors
- IEEE Jack S. Kilby Signal Processing Medal 2004
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal 2000
- Rice University President's Award 1999
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching (College of Engineering, Cornell University) 1995
- Joel and Ruth Spira Award for Excellence in Teaching (School of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University) 1992
- MEE, Cornell University, 1961
- M.S., (Electrical Engineering), Cornell University, 1964
- Ph.D., (Electrical Engineering), Cornell University, 1967