We are excited to announce that the IEEE Board of Directors named Professor Edward Suh an IEEE Fellow, recognized for contributions to the development of secure hardware circuits and processors. Ed... Read more about Professor Edward Suh Named IEEE Fellow
Professor Gookwon "Edward" Suh received a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with his work on a single-chip secure processor. Following graduate school, he spent a year at Verayo Inc., where he led the development of unclonable RFIDs and secure embedded processors. He joined the faculty of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell in 2007.
Professor Suh's research interests include computer systems in general with particular focus on computer architecture. He is interested in combining architectural techniques with low-level software to enhance various aspects of computing systems such as performance, security, and reliability. His recent research efforts focus on parallel and reconfigurable computer architecture for security and reliability, embedded cyber-physical systems, and on-chip network design and management.Research Group Members
Professor Suh's teaching efforts focus on providing students with strong foundations for designing computer systems, especially hardware. He was in charge of a senior-level computer architecture course (ECE4750), and a digital system design and computer organization course (ECE2300) in the past. He is currently, teaching a course on embedded systems (ECE3140/CS342) and a graduate-level course on secure computer architecture.
- Ruirui, Huang, Halberg Erik, Gookwon Edward Suh. 2013. "Non-Race Concurrency Bug Detection Through Order-Sensitive Critical Sections." Proceedings of the 40th International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June.
- Wang, Y., W.-K. Yu, Gookwon Edward Suh, E. Kan. 2012. "Flash Memory for Ubiquitous Hardware Security Functions: True Random Generation and Device Fingerprints." Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, May.
- Deng, Daniel Y., Daniel Lo, Greg Malysa, Skyler Schneider, Gookwon Edward Suh. 2010. "Flexible and Efficient Instruction-Grained Run-Time Monitoring Using On-Chip Reconfigurable Fabric." Proceedings of the 43rd Annual International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MIRCO), December.
- Suh, Gookwon Edward, C. W. O'Donnell, I. Sachdev, S. Devadas. 2005. "Design and Implementation of a Single-Chip Secure Processor Using Physical Random Functions." Paper presented at 32nd Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June.
- Suh, Gookwon Edward, J. Lee, D. Zhang, S. Devadas. 2004. "Secure Program Execution via Dynamic Information Flow Tracking." Paper presented at 11th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operation Systems, October (4th Quarter/Autumn).
Selected Awards and Honors
- IEEE Fellow, 2020
- ASPLOS Most Influential Paper Award, 2014
- Army Young Investigator Research Program Award (Army Research Office), 2011
- NSF CAREER Award, 2008
- Air Force Young Investigator Research Program Award, 2008
- Best paper award in the IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems, 2001
- B.S. (Electrical Engineering), Seoul National University, 1999
- M.S. (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001
- Financial Technology Option (FTO), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Research Group Members
In the News
ECE Professors Lang Tong and Edward Suh are the co-principal investigators of a $1.2m award from the National Science Foundation under the Cyber-Physical Systems program. Titled “High-Fidelity High... Read more about NSF Awards Cyber-Physical Systems Grants to ECE Professors Lang Tong and Ed Suh
Best Posters in Each Category: AI/Pattern Recognition (Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Robotics) Daria Efimov, ECE M.Eng. May ‘19 Poster Title: Olympic Lifting for Engineers ECE M.Eng. Advisor... Read more about Congratulations to the 2019 ECE M.Eng. Poster Session Winners