Women of ECE
The goal of the Women of ECE group is to build a sense of community for women in the Cornell ECE department at all levels (students, postdocs, faculty) and share relevant information. This involves coffee/pizza hours for women in ECE, MAE and AEP, luncheons for faculty women in Engineering and various funding opportunities.
ECE Woman of the Month
Coming in 2018! Every month we will celebrate an outstanding woman in ECE (student, postdoc, or professor). If you would like to nominate a candidate, please write Prof. Petersen at kirstin @ cornell.edu.
The next scheduled events are:
- Look for more events to come after Winter Break!
Past events include:
- Thursday 12/7, 12:15pm-1:15pm, 401 Physical Sciences Building: Women in STEM lunch [For Faculty only]
- Saturday 12/2, 1pm in Upson Lounge: Have pizza with fellow women in ECE/MAE/AEP
- Tuesday 11/21, 11:30-1pm in Upson 102: WISE Luncheon for faculty women
- Wednesday 9/20, 4.30-6pm in Upson Lounge: Coffee hour with fellow women in ECE/MAE/AEP
The undergraduate women of ECE/MAE/AEP have created a slack channel. If you would like to join, please reach out to Prof. Petersen so she can connect you to the right people. If you would like to propose an event for women in ECE/MAE/AEP, please fill out this form and send it to Hadaskg and Kirstin @ cornell.edu.
Examples of group discussion topics:
- How do I get 5 (!) recommendation letters?
- What is the best way to land a good postdoc/industry job?
- How do I solve my two-body issue?
- How do I choose a good project to work on in my postdoc/faculty position in my Ph.D.?
- If I TA during my grad studies will it help me get a faculty job?
- How do I balance my career and family?
- How do I get a summer internship?
- How do I know what's an interesting job?
- When I negotiate a faculty position or an industry job what kind of a startup/salary should I aim for?
- How do I deal with (subtle) sexual harassment? When is it appropriate to speak up?
Important: Funds available for women@ece!
The ECE Women's Conference Travel Grants, Women's Professional Development Grants and Women's Technical Exposure Grants are funded by a gift from the IBM Corporation, with the goals of assisting in the retention of the current ECE female student population, increasing the presence of female scientists in high-rank ECE related positions both in academia and in industry, as well as in the recruiting of female students pursuing both graduate and undergraduate ECE degrees.
Please download (here) application forms for these 3 grants.