My research is focused on discrete optimization methods for analyzing images, with an emphasis on medical applications. I hold a joint position in computer science and in radiology, and most of my work involves both departments. I am currently doing my reseach at Cornell's NYC campus.
I enjoy teaching introductory undergraduate courses, especially involving functional programming or algorithms.
- 2011. "Dynamic Programming and Graph Algorithms in Computer Vision." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 33 (4). .
- 2008. "A comparative study of energy minimization methods for Markov random fields with smoothness-based priors." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 30 (6): 1068-1080. .
- 2007. "Bayesian parallel Imaging with edge-preserving priors." Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 57 (1): 8-21. .
- 2001. "Fast approximate energy minimization via graph cuts." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 23 (11): 1222-1239. .
- 1999. "Spatial color indexing and applications." International Journal of Computer Vision 35 (3): 245-268. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Royal Academy of Engineering Distinguished Visiting Fellow at Oxford University 2015
- Research Citation Finalist (Society of Critical Care Medicine) 2013
- Helmholtz prize (International Conference on Computer Vision) 2013
- Fellow (ACM) 2012
- Fellow (IEEE) 2012
- BS (Computer Science), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985
- BS (Math), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986
- MS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987
- Ph D (Computer Science), Stanford University, 1994