Mahsa Shoaran is an Assistant Professor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell University. Prior to joining Cornell, she was a postdoctoral fellow at the California Institute of Technology. She received her PhD from EPFL, Switzerland, in 2015 and her B.Sc. from Sharif University of Technology. Mahsa is a recipient of both early and advanced Swiss National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships, and the NSF Award for Young Professionals Contributing to Smart and Connected Health. She was named a Rising Star in EE/CS by MIT in 2015.
Low-power circuit design for biomedical applications, brain-computer interfaces, biomedical signal processing, on-chip classification and machine learning, neuromodulation therapies for neurological disorders.
Integrated Circuits, Neural Interfaces
- Shoaran, M., B. A. Haghi, M. Farivar, A. Emami. 2017. "Efficient Feature Extraction and Classification Methods in Neural Interfaces." the Bridge, National Academy of Engineering (NAE), vol. 47, no. 4.
- Shoaran, M., M. Shahshahani, M. Farivar, et al. 2016. "A 16-Channel 1.1mm² Implantable Seizure Control SoC with Sub-µWChannel Consumption and Closed-Loop Stimulation in 0.18µm CMOS." IEEE Symposium on VLSI Circuits (VLSI Circuits).
- Shoaran, M., A. Tajalli, M. Alioto, A. Schmid, Y. Leblebici. 2015. "Analysis and Characterization of Variability in Subthreshold Source-Coupled Logic Circuits." IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers (TCAS-I) 62 (2): 458-467.
- Shoaran, M., C. Pollo, K. Schindler, A. Schmid. 2015. "A Fully-Integrated IC with 0.85-µW/Channel Consumption for Epileptic iEEG Detection." IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs (TCAS-II) 62 (2): 114-118.
- Shoaran, M., M. H. Kamal, C. Pollo, P. Vandergheynst, A. Schmid. 2014. "Compact Low-Power Cortical Recording Architecture for Compressive Multichannel Data Acquisition." IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems (TBCAS) 8 (6): 857-870.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Recent work presented in the NAE's Frontiers of Engineering Symposium on Unraveling the Complexity of Brain 2017
- Best Poster Award (International Conference for Technology and Analysis of Seizures) 2017
- Award for Young Professionals Contributing to Smart and Connected Health (NSF) 2016
- Early and Advanced Postdoctoral Fellowships (Swiss National Science Foundation) 2016
- Rising Star in EE/CS (MIT) 2015
- B. Sc. (Electrical Engineering), Sharif University of Technology, 2008
- M. Sc. (Microelectronics), Sharif University of Technology, 2010
- Ph D (Electrical Engineering), EPFL, 2015