Johannes E Gehrke
Johannes Gehrke is the Tisch University Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Cornell University and a Distinguished Engineer at Microsoft. Johannes' research interests are in the areas of Big Data, Data Science, and data privacy. Johannes has received a National Science Foundation Career Award, an Arthur P. Sloan Fellowship, a Humboldt Research Award from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the 2011 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award, and the 2011 Blavatnik Award for Young Scientists from the New York Academy of Sciences. He co-authored the undergraduate textbook Database Management Systems (McGrawHill (2002), currently in its third edition), used at universities all over the world. Johannes is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Tromsø in Norway.
Johannes was Program co-Chair of the 2004 ACM International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD 2004), Program Chair of the 33rd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB 2007), and Program co-Chair of the 28th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2012). From 2007 to 2008, he was Chief Scientist at FAST Search and Transfer.
Database systems, data privacy, Big Data, data mining
My teaching is in the area of Big Data. I also proposed a new course on applied data mining for the New York City Campus.
- 2014. "Explainable Security for Relational Databases." Paper presented at SIGMOD 2014 .
- 2013. "Fine-Grained Disclosure Control for App Ecosystems." Paper presented at Proceedings of the 2013 ACM SIGMOD Conference, New York, NY, June. .
- 2013. "Quantum Databases." Paper presented at Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, Asilomar, CA, January (1st Quarter/Winter). .
- 2013. "Secure and customizable web development in the safe activation framework." Paper presented at ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security .
- 2013. "Beyond myopic inference in big data pipelines." Paper presented at KDD 2013 .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Technical Achievement Award (IEEE Computer Society) 2011
- Humboldt Research Award (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation) 2010
- Blavatnik Award for Young Scientists (New York Academy of Sciences) 2011
- Best Paper Award (2011 ACM SIGMOD Conference) 2011
- Faculty Development Award (New York State Foundation for Science, Technology, and Innovation) 2007
- (Computer Science), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, 1993
- MS (Computer & Information Science), University of Texas- Austin, 1995
- Ph D (Computer & Information Science), University of Wisconsin- Madison, 1999