Women of ECE
The goal of the Women of ECE group is to build a sense of community for women in the Cornell ECE department at all levels (students, postdocs, faculty) and share relevant information. This involves coffee/pizza hours for women in ECE, MAE and AEP, luncheons for faculty women in Engineering and various funding opportunities.
Every month we celebrate an outstanding woman in ECE (student, postdoc, or professor). If you would like to nominate a candidate, please write Prof. Petersen at kirstin @ cornell.edu.
This month we celebrate the tremendous research accomplishments by a first year graduate student in the Computer Systems Lab: Helena Caminal. Helena completed a bachelors and masters at BarcelonaTECH in Industrial Engineering and Informatics, during which she completed internships with ARM and the Barcelona Supercomputing Center. Now a student of Prof. José Martínez, she has taken on not one, but two NSF funded projects on intelligent memory and storage, covering everything from semiconductor materials and devices to applications. She has already become an expert on prior work, proposed and prototyped new artifacts, and presented her results to a larger audience. She has co-authored several publications, and has received prestigious fellowships both at BarcelonaTECH and Cornell. When asked about Helena, Prof. Martínez, fires of a long list of accomplishments and rounds it off with “did I mention that she came to Cornell barely a year ago?!”. A huge shout-out to Helena for serving as an awesome role model for incoming graduate students, and especially for a hugely underrepresented group of women in Computer Architecture!
Find previous ECE Woman of the month spotlights here.
The next scheduled events are:
May 6, 2018: PhEM meeting, 2:00pm, Upson 202
Past events include:
- March 2, 2018: Johnson Women in Technology Conference
- December 7, 2017: Women in STEM lunch, 12:15pm-1:15pm, 401 Physical Sciences [For Faculty only]
- December 2, 2017: Have pizza with fellow women in ECE/MAE/AEP, 1pm,Upson Lounge
- November 21, 2017: WISE Luncheon for faculty women, 11:30-1pm, Upson 102
- September 20, 2017: Coffee hour with fellow women in ECE/MAE/AEP, 4.30-6pm, Upson Lounge
The undergraduate women of ECE/MAE/AEP have created a slack channel. If you would like to join, please reach out to Prof. Petersen so she can connect you to the right people. If you would like to propose an event for women in ECE/MAE/AEP, please fill out this form and send it to Hadaskg and Kirstin @ cornell.edu.
- How do I get 5 (!) recommendation letters?
- What is the best way to land a good postdoc/industry job?
- How do I solve my two-body issue?
- How do I choose a good project to work on in my postdoc/faculty position in my Ph.D.?
- If I TA during my grad studies will it help me get a faculty job?
- How do I balance my career and family?
- How do I get a summer internship?
- How do I know what's an interesting job?
- When I negotiate a faculty position or an industry job what kind of a startup/salary should I aim for?
- How do I deal with (subtle) sexual harassment? When is it appropriate to speak up?
The ECE Women's Conference Travel Grants, Women's Professional Development Grants and Women's Technical Exposure Grants are funded by a gift from the IBM Corporation, with the goals of assisting in the retention of the current ECE female student population, increasing the presence of female scientists in high-rank ECE related positions both in academia and in industry, as well as in the recruiting of female students pursuing both graduate and undergraduate ECE degrees.
Please download (here) application forms for these 3 grants.