José F. Martínez
José Martínez is associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, and graduate field member of computer science at Cornell. His research work has earned several awards; among them: two IEEE Micro Top Picks papers; a HPCA Best Paper Award; a NSF CAREER Award; two IBM Faculty Awards; and more recently, the inaugural UIUC Computer Science Outstanding Educator Alumnus Award. On the teaching side, he has been recognized with a 2005 Kenneth A. Goldman '71 Excellence in Teaching Award, as a 2007 Merrill Presidential Teacher, and as the 2011 Professor of the Year by the Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society.
Prof. Martínez graduated in 1996 from the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, and earned MS (1999) and Ph.D. (2002) degrees in computer science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Prof. Martínez's research area is computer architecture. His research interests include reconfigurable and self-optimizing architectures, architectural impact of disruptive technologies (e.g., on-chip nanophotonics), and hardware-software interaction.
Computer engineering. Regularly in charge of ECE 5720 (Parallel Computer Architecture, a core computer engineering graduate course) and ENGRD 3140 (Embedded Systems).
- 2015. "ReBudget: Trading Off Efficiency vs. Fairness in Market-based Multicore Resource Allocation via Run-time Budget Reassignment." Paper presented at SIGMETRICS, June. .
- 2015. "XChange: Scalable Dynamic Multi-resource Allocation in Multicore Architectures." Paper presented at Intl. Symp. on High-Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), February. .
- 2014. "GraphGen: An FPGA Framework for Vertex-centric Graph Computation." Paper presented at Intl. Symp. on Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines (FCCM), May. .
- 2013. "Understanding and Mitigating Refresh Overheads in High-Density DDR4 DRAM Systems." Paper presented at International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June. .
- 2013. "Improving Memory Scheduling via Processor-Side Load Criticality Information." Paper presented at International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Professor of the Year (Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society) 2011
- Best Paper Nomination, HPCA 2015 (High Performance Computer Architecture) 2014
- College of Engineering, Kenneth A. Goldman '71 Excellence in Teaching Award (College of Engineering) 2014
- Distinguished Educator Award in the inaugural class of alumni awards (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Department of Computer Science) 2011
- Inducted Eminent Engineer by Tau Beta Pi Honor Society (Cornell University) 2011
- B. Sc. (Computer Science & Engineering), Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, 1996
- MS (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- Ph D (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002