José F. Martínez
José Martínez is associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, and graduate field member of computer science at Cornell. His research work has earned several awards; among them: two IEEE Micro Top Picks papers; a HPCA Best Paper Award; a NSF CAREER Award; two IBM Faculty Awards; and more recently, the inaugural UIUC Computer Science Outstanding Educator Alumnus Award. On the teaching side, he has been recognized with a 2005 Kenneth A. Goldman '71 Excellence in Teaching Award, as a 2007 Merrill Presidential Teacher, and as the 2011 Professor of the Year by the Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society.
Prof. Martínez graduated in 1996 from the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, and earned MS (1999) and Ph.D. (2002) degrees in computer science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Prof. Martínez's research area is computer architecture. His research interests include reconfigurable and self-optimizing architectures, architectural impact of disruptive technologies (e.g., on-chip nanophotonics), and hardware-software interaction.
Computer engineering. Regularly in charge of ECE 5720 (Parallel Computer Architecture, a core computer engineering graduate course) and ENGRD 3140 (Embedded Systems).
- 2013. "Understanding and Mitigating Refresh Overheads in High-Density DDR4 DRAM Systems." Paper presented at International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June. .
- 2013. "Improving Memory Scheduling via Processor-Side Load Criticality Information." Paper presented at International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June. .
- 2013. "Improving Memory Scheduling via Processor-side Load Critically Information." Paper presented at International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June. .
- 2012. "Overcoming single-thread performance hurdles in the Core Fusion reconfigurable multicore architecture." Paper presented at Proceedings of the International Conference on Supercomputing, June. .
- 2012. "MORSE: Multi-Objective Reconfigurable Self-Optimizing Memory Scheduler." Paper presented at Proceedings of the International Symposium on High-Performance Compouter Architecture (HPCA), February. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Professor of the Year (Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society) 2011
- Distinguished Educator Award in the inaugural class of alumni awards (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Department of Computer Science) 2011
- Inducted Eminent Engineer by Tau Beta Pi Honor Society (Cornell University) 2011
- IBM Faculty Award 2009
- IEEE Micro Top Picks in Computer Architecture 2007
- B. Sc. (Computer Science & Engineering), Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, 1996
- MS (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- Ph D (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002