José F. Martínez
José Martínez is Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and graduate field member of Computer Science at Cornell. His research work has earned several awards; among them: two IEEE Micro Top Picks papers; a HPCA Best Paper award; Best Paper nominations at MICRO and HPCA; a NSF CAREER award; two IBM Faculty awards; and one of the inaugural UIUC Computer Science Outstanding Educator Alumnus awards. On the teaching side, he has been recognized with two Kenneth A. Goldman '71 Excellence in Teaching College awards, as a 2007 Merrill Presidential Teacher, and as the 2011 Professor of the Year by the Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society.
Prof. Martínez graduated in 1996 from the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, and earned MS (1999) and Ph.D. (2002) degrees in computer science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Prof. Martínez's research area is computer architecture. His research interests include reconfigurable and self-optimizing architectures, architectural impact of disruptive technologies (e.g., on-chip nano photonics), and hardware-software interaction.
Computer engineering. Regularly in charge of ECE 5720 (Parallel Computer Architecture, a core computer engineering graduate course) and ENGRD 3140 (Embedded Systems).
- 2014. "XChange: A Market-Based Approach to Scalable Dynamic Multi-resource Allocation in Multicore Architectures." Paper presented at Intl. Symp. on High-Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), San Francisco, CA Feb. 2015 .
- 2014. "GraphGen: An FPGA Framework for Vertex-centric Graph Computation." Paper presented at Intl. Symp. on Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines (FCCM), May. .
- 2013. "Understanding and Mitigating Refresh Overheads in High-Density DDR4 DRAM Systems." Paper presented at International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June. .
- 2013. "Improving Memory Scheduling via Processor-side Load Critically Information." Paper presented at International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), June. .
- 2012. "MORSE: Multi-Objective Reconfigurable Self-Optimizing Memory Scheduler." Proceedings of the International Symposium on High-Performance Compouter Architecture (HPCA), February. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Program Chair (2016 Intl. Symp. on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA)) 2014
- Best Paper Nomination, HPCA 2015 (High Performance Computer Architecture) 2014
- College of Engineering, Kenneth A. Goldman '71 Excellence in Teaching Award (College of Engineering) 2014
- Professor of the Year (Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society) 2011
- Distinguished Educator Award in the inaugural class of alumni awards (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Department of Computer Science) 2011
- B. Sc. (Computer Science & Engineering), Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, 1996
- MS (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- Ph D (Computer Science), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002