The Cornell ECE Bachelor's Degree is the most versatile undergraduate degree for your future career. In the Cornell ECE program, you will learn to solve complex and open-ended problems in a methodological and efficient way. When others may give up and declare a challenge as impossible to solve, you will learn to break up the question into solvable sub problems and to methodically work through until you have developed an appropriate solution - elegant, functional, and meeting required constraints. These skills will serve you well not just in a career as an electrical engineer, but in your life ahead regardless of what you end up doing! Remember, ECEs Can Do Everything!
Our discipline has three technical foundations:
- Physics: circuits, semiconductor devices, and optical systems
- Computers: microprocessors and computing devices
- Math: information, networks, and systems
So... what might you end up doing with a Cornell ECE degree?
ECE is the most general purpose undergraduate degree in engineering you can earn, preparing you for careers in medicine, law, business, graduate school in engineering, and of course as an electrical engineer!]
We are extremely proud of our alumni—you can meet some here.
- Nationally top-ranked program. Cornell ECE has been consistently ranked in the top ten by to U.S. News and World Report.
- World-class research with faculty members dedicated to teaching. Our faculty include IEEE Fellows, National Science CAREER recipients, DARPA/ONR/Air Force Young Investigators, and PECASE recipients, just to name a few. Check out the awards and honors our faculty have received!
- State-of-the-art undergraduate curriculum. Cornell ECE is constantly updating our curriculum in order to keep our students on top of leading edge topics. This includes everything from yearly Special-Topics courses on cutting-edge technologies to an overhaul of our curriculum every six years. The ECE program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
- Undergraduate research opportunities. More than half of our faculty regularly include undergraduates in their research groups. Many of these students co-author papers and attend international technical conference where they can meet leaders of both today and tomorrow.
- A phenomenal undergraduate placement record. 41% of our undergraduate class goes on to pursue advanced graduate degrees, while 59% find employment at companies ranging from large-scale multinational engineering corporations to innovative start-up companies.
- A Professional Master of Engineering Degree Program. Our one-year M.Eng. Program provides our students with an outstanding opportunity to continue their technical education beyond their undergraduate degree with an additional year of courses and an intensive design project directly supervised by an ECE faculty member. Our undergraduate students have the opportunity to tailor their coursework accordingly to provide them with a head-start on their graduate study here in ECE.
- ECE is the degree for every career path. Even the most basic of ECE material is at the core of a tremendous array of scientific and technical areas, including financial engineering, biomechanics of motion, and remote sensing of the environment, just to name a few! ECEs can do everything!
Interested in visiting with a professor? Or sitting in on a real ECE class at Cornell? Check out our online calendars for availability and contact information here.