Our curriculum is built on a core of four (4) technical courses. But unlike many other schools, you select these from a roster of core courses, choosing those that will best prepare you for your individual goals. A required one credit-hour course in professional development and practice helps to prepare you for the workplace. For electives, you can choose from courses within ECE, as well as hundreds of other engineering and technical courses all across campus, including business courses, that allow you to prepare for multiple areas of specialization - or create your own.
The centerpiece of the M.Eng. program is the professional project, in which you apply theory to a real problem, with the guidance from faculty, and often in collaboration with other students.
Cornell ECE MEng Program Info: Curriculum and Grading: 2-Semester / 1-Academic Year Plan - 2016-17 Academic Year
|No. of Courses
- Required of all MEng; Cannot be used to satisfy either of the two 5000 level requirements
- Taken as S/U; not for a Letter Grade
||14 - 16 Overall
7 - 8 Per Semester
Most ECE courses at the 4000 + level satisfy Core Course Requirements.
- All Core Courses must be a minimum of at least Three (3) Credit Hours each
- All courses must be ECE 4000 level+
- At least Two (2) must be ECE 5000 level courses (there are no exceptions to this rule)
- No more than One (1) Non-ECE course may be used to satisfy Outside Core Course requirements.
- Any Non-Approved Outside ECE Course will require the submission of a Petition if you want to count it as a Core Course.
- Outside ECE Courses must be approved by the ECE MEng Committee via a submitted Petition, before you enroll in them.
- Failure to receive permission ahead of time via the submission of a Petition will result in the course not counting towards your MEng degree requirements.
- MEng Students will be required to be enrolled in Two (2) ECE Courses each semester of full-time registration
- This includes the First Semester of enrollment in the ECE MEng Program
- Both Courses must be at 4000+ Level
||3 - 8 Overall
1 - 4 Per Semester
Can be started in fall.
- ECE 6930: 1 - 4 credits in Fall 2014
- ECE 6931: 1 - 4 credits in Spring 2015
Students will be required to enroll in a Minimum of at least One (1) credit hour of the Design Project in the First Semester of full-time registration
- Most Students will enroll in more Design Project credit hours in the spring semester
- Discuss with your MEng Design Project Advisor the best course of action for how many credit hours to enroll in for each semester
||6 - 16 Overall
3 - 8 Per Semester
ECE courses at 4000+ level and selected courses from outside departments.
Liberal studies, etc., will not count any credit toward graduation, but students are not prohibited from taking them if time permits
|Courses students will take out of personal interest, but will not apply to the 30 credit hour total requirement for graduation
FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS
- All Students must be enrolled in a Minimum of Twelve (12) Credit Hours for each semester that they are registered as an ECE MEng Student in order to be considered "Full-Time."
- This is a University Policy that applies to ALL ECE MEng Students.
- This is especially important for Foreign Nationals in order to maintain a valid F-1 Student Visa Status.
ENROLLMENT OUTLINE - Credit Hours Per Semester
- A total of Thirty (30) Credit Hours must be earned to complete an ECE MEng Degree.
- A grade of "C" or better must be earned in all areas for a course to count towards an ECE MEng Degree.
- A maximum of Two (2) credit hours of S/U course work may be counted toward the degree if and only if the course is at the graduate level and participatory in nature. In general, these are mostly Seminar Courses.
- Please note that if you enroll in a course that exceeds the minimum number of credit hours you can us as S/U, the additional credit hours will not count towards your MEng Degree Requirements.
COURSE TYPE FALL SEMESTER SPRING SEMESTER
Credit Hours Credit Hours
CORE COURSES 7 - 8 7 - 8
REQUIRED SEMINAR (ECE 5010) 1
DESIGN PROJECT COURSE 1 - 4 2 - 4
TECH ELECTIVE / TECH ORIENTED 6 - 8 6 - 8
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS PER SEMESTER 15 - 21 15 - 20